Deposit Return Scheme
The Deposit Return Scheme will launch on February 1st and all retailers that sell in-scope products are obliged to pay deposits to suppliers and to charge deposits to customers on in-scope products.
- In-scope drinks containers are PET plastic bottles & aluminium cans between 150ml & 3000ml.
- 150ml-500ml = €0.15 (up to & including 500ml) & 500ml-3000ml = €0.25
- In-scope products will filter into circulation gradually, during the transition period which runs until May 31st. From June 1st, all cans & plastic bottles will be in-scope.
- We pay our suppliers the deposit on these products; we charge you the deposit on these products.
- We will display the deposit on our shelf edge labels in-store to indicate which cans & plastic bottles you will be charged a deposit on. This will also be displayed on our online products.
- We will give you a receipt which will indicate which items you have been charged a deposit on. Online order receipts will also include this.
- During the transition period, some cans & plastic bottles on which deposits are payable will not feature the ReTurn logo.
- Please excuse us if there are any errors in the early stages. It is a tricky process to implement.
Returning your cans and bottles:
- All smaller shops (less than 250m²) are exempt from taking back the empty cans or plastic bottles for deposit refund. This includes our two off-licences.
- Take Back facilities are Reverse Vending Machines (RVMs) located in all large stores. Our Centra stores in Artane, Edenmore & Greendale will have Reverse Vending Machines.
- Bring the empty can or plastic bottle to a Reverse Vending Machine.
- The container must be undamaged (barcode must be readable).
- The container must be empty.
- The Reverse Vending Machine reads the barcode and if the container is in-scope, it issues a coupon for the deposit amount.
- The coupon must be redeemed in the outlet where the Reverse Vending Machine is located. It can be used as credit against items purchased or can be given as cash.
- The RVM will reject the container if it is badly damaged; has liquid in it; does not have a barcode; or is not an in-scope product.
For more information on the Deposit Return Scheme, please see Re-Turn.ie